Yesterday was my 21st birthday. Since I’m abroad, it was pretty anticlimactic. I still have some trouble believing that I can now legally go into a liquor store and purchase myself some of the finest premium sold-in-a-plastic-bottle booze that Georgia has to offer, but my license tells me that this is in fact the case.
Highlights of the evening included a gin fizz that was actually just a glass of gin, realizing that the US has exported unironic appreciation of “Sexy and I Know It,” and having my phone and passport photo copy stolen off me at the club. But other than that last one, it was a fun night! I had tiny cake, and you’d pretty much have to murder a kitten in front of me while I ate it for me not to enjoy tiny cake.
But, outside of tiny cake, I’ve been reading a lot of Yes and Yes over the weekend. One of my favorite things on her site is her recurring feature where, each birthday, she picks a list of things she wants to do over the next year. She picks as many things as she’s turned years. I like the idea, so I shamelessly stole it. Here are my 21 things to accomplish before I quit being 21.
21 Things To Do in the Upcoming Year
- Buy/make/have made a perfect navy blue blazer.
- Drink a sloe gin fizz in a speakeasy-style bar.
- Road trip to the Grand Canyon.
- Actually remove things I no longer need from my childhood room.
- Get a print magazine piece published.
- Do a juice cleanse.
- Build the capsule portion of my wardrobe.
- Start a retirement investment account.
- Take an improv class.
- Publish an ebook.
- Get acupuncture.
- Make cheese.
- Try the paleo diet.
- Start my own company. (Sole proprietorship counts.)
- Learn to cook the chickpea soup I so very love from the Ethiopian place on Briarcliff.
- Visit France.
- Go see the dolphins at the aquarium.
- Replace crappy, torn socks and tights with nice, wool socks and tights.
- Go spelunking.
- Visit a personal trainer.
- Ride every MARTA line from end to end.